Friday 25 May 2007

24/05/07 - Working hard at sea

The past few days have flown by. We've moved on to calibrating the
instrument and getting to know the quirks of it too. It's funny how each
instrument has it's own personality. Just learning what mood the
instrument is in make measurements so much more interesting with FAGE: the
conditions the laser likes (not too hot, not too cold); what pressure the
cells are happiest at; how the timing of the laser twitches with the
slighest change in temperature. Nothing is ever simple. But then where
would the fun be ;)
We should start the intensive measurement period from Sat morning so that
will be tough but worth it. We'll have to measure 24 hours for that time.
Dawn and dusk could have the most interesting chemistry but as Trev and I
are both more night owls than early birds, organising shift to cover all
though could prove interesting ;)

By working in the container so much, I've missed all the wildlife so far.
People come back with reports of flying fish and dolphins that I've missed
- again. I'm hoping when we get the instrument fully up and running I
might actually get a chance to look over the side and see some of what's
going on. At the moment the seas are really calm with just a gentle roll.
Sometimes I even forget I'm on a boat - something I never thought I'd say!
I walk around like normal and it's only the odd swell that catches me off
guard and sends me crashing into the nearest wall.

We will arrive in Mindelo, Cape Verde tomorrow morning and spend the day
there. Initially we were supposed to spend 24 hours in CV but that has now
been cut to an afternoon! It doesn't look like there is much time to see
the place either but I'm sure if we cut the ship visit short we could make
it to the beach for half an hour ;) But I'll probably go with whatever is
happening and not cause any trouble. I'm not craving the sea quite enough
to mutiny. Though that might change with seeing the beach...

Apparently we are now entering Pirate seas... Not the Johnny Depp type of
pirate but the balaclava glad, grenade launcher toting, militia type. I've
been confidently informed by the crew that if it comes to a choice, then
the boys will save the kit and sell off all the blondes. I'm so glad that
I work with people who care so much for my well being. Even Trev wants to
keep his laptop more than me! So much for group loyalty...

I still haven't made it to the gym. I did intend to but I've just been so
busy. And while I'm getting my sea legs for walking around and standing at
the container, I'm not sure that extends to the gym. I have been making an
effort to not each as much lately though. I'm just having less of each of
the four courses served up at dinner ;) At least I bought two pairs of
nice, baggy trousers in Primark before leaving for Portugal. At this rate,
I'll just about fit into the clothes for going home in!

I'm hoping I have a bit more news after the day trip tomorrow. It should
be interesting to see how the girls are getting on and what levels of IO
are being seen on the island. At least then we will have a vague idea if
we are going to see anything at all on this cruise!

No comments: