Thursday 17 May 2007

Some Pics

Here are some random pics of the docks in Lisbon that I've taken from the Discovery. And a few pretty faces for the fun of it too ;)


On day one we arrived on the docs in Lisbon to be greeted by the QEII. On the second day it was the Queen Mary II (pic above). These ships are enormous. They are like an entire council estate floating around the world! I won't go into the whole argument for and against cruises on mini-towns but I don't think it would suit me personally!

From looking in disbelief at the massive cruiseliners, laying eyes on the Discovery was a bit of a let down... Here we have Elena, Anna, Ailsa and Justin enjoying the sunshine in front of the RRS Discovery.


I'm not saying it's not a nice boat but compared to the Queen Mary, frankly, it's tiny!! I don't want to go out into the far Atlantic in a tin can! OK, it's slightly bigger than a tin can but I'm still a little nervous! Most of the other scientists involved in this cruise have never been on a ship campaign before either so there is a collective nervous tension building up. I'm sure things will settle down as we set sail but hearing horror stories about people getting sick it NOT helping!

Watching our measurement container being installed was a bit of a nerve-wracking experience. What if the crane fails? And drops all our equipment into the dock? What if everything gets knocked around so much nothing works?! (Slightly ironic that one, but I'll explain later)



But the view of the docks from the Discovery is quite pretty...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

bon voyage! i'll have some words with some people here in the met dept and get them to fix some calm weather for you all... ;-)
michellexxx